Wednesday 17 April 2013

Food: The Search For Great Curry -- Part 3 @ CoCo Ichibanya


Japanese curry pork chop rice with omelette @ CoCo Ichibanya
Image from Locky's English Playground
Japanese curry is a completely different story. It's sweet and only slightly spicy, so spice-lovers like me, Japanese curry shouldn't be my cup of tea, only that it is, surprisingly! I guess that's because sweetness gives people a sense of security and safety by nature, and so when it is mixed with supposedly "aggressive" curry, it feels like mum's cooking.

From another angle, lots of curry
Image from Locky's English Playground
I do cook Japanese curry sometimes, but when I feel tired or lazy, I will pay a visit to Curry House CoCo Ichibanya @ Tai Koo. There are a number of dishes available, but my favourite is still this Japanese curry pork chop with omelette.

Red pickled turnip added
Image from Locky's English Playground
The super smooth and thin omelette might disappoint some diners for its lack of buttery taste, I suppose it's because they didn't use butter, but I like to tell myself that it's not oily so it's healthy to eat. The portion is also enough for a average Asian man, and that's crucial when it comes to a meal that is meant to recharge your energy after a full day's work.

White pork meat with air spaces
Image from Locky's English Playground
I must admit, it is not the best pork chop I've tried, actually, it is not even close to the best (have I mentioned which is the best pork chop I've tried?), but it is already much better than those soda powder-marinated pork chop served in most Hong Kong cha chaan teng. At least, it tastes like pork and it is not tough or overly tender. Also, it's just HK$70 + 10%, shouldn't expect too much.

This is no pepper, it is really spice powder
Image from Locky's English Playground
Overall, it is a great choice for curry! If only they can be more generous with the beef in the curry beef dish then I can have an alternative when I go there next time.

Here's my final scores for this curry dish.



Scores:
Look:            ★★★★★ 5/5
Taste:            ★★★★★ 5/5
Smell:            ★★★☆☆ 3/5
Textures:       ★★★★★ 5/5
Temperature: ★★★★★ 5/5
Overall:         ★★★★★ 23/25




Vocabulary:
marinate -- (vb)[T]  to pour a marinade over meat or fish:


Resources:
Cha chaan Teng @ Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_chaan_teng

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/marinade?q=marinate

No comments:

Post a Comment