Tuesday 2 April 2013

Food: The Search For Great Curry -- Part 2 @ Hainanese Chicken Rice

Great -looking curry Chicken Rice set @ food republic
Image from Locky's English Playground
 Easter holiday we eat Easter eggs, I ate the chicken -- curry chicken. Since the last time I had that horrible curry in Mongkok, I was so into finding the taste that can satisfy my angry taste buds.

Hainanese Chicken Rice @ food republic
Image from Locky's English Playground
So I found myself back in food republic in Cityplaza. To my disappointment, there was only one shop that sells curry and it happened to be the store I have recommended before in Food & Restaurant: Hainanese Chicken Rice -- Food Republic @ CityPlaza. Last time though, I reviewed their Hainanese chicken rice (by the way, I've added the Scores to that review too), this time it's their (Singaporean?) curry. 

Curry Chicken Rice set at food republic
Image from Locky's English Playground
HK$48 a set is again asking quite a lot, but every food kind is inflated these days, it's going to be very hard to find any curry dish at $30-ish.

Okay, how was the food? I must use that punch line of my dear old friend John Poon,

"looks can be deceptive".

In fact, it was so deceptive that the presentation is a definite 5-star, but only the soup, rice and the veg actually tasted good!

What about the curry? It was tastelessly ridiculous -- not a pinch of salt or sugar, just red-coloured oil and dead dry chicken which is worth no more than one star texture-wise, an obvious outcome of continuous over-boiling.

In fact, it was so disappointing that I went to focus on making fun of the statue sitting on the table before me. See the photo below?

A human-looking statue with 4 claypots at his butt
Image from Locky's English Playground
I did that, I moved the claypots.

Overall, a complete waste of money and stomach space. Which goes to show that the difference in terms of food quality of two different dishes from the same store/restaurant can be huge! Will not give this dish a second chance, never!

Primo Aprile? <=  (This is Italian)


Scores:
Look:            ★★★★★ 5/5
Taste:            ★★☆☆☆ 1/5
Smell:            ★★☆☆☆ 0/5
Textures:       ★☆☆☆☆ 1/5
Temperature: ★★★★★ 3/5
Overall:         ★★☆☆☆ 10/25





Vocabulary:

taste buds -- (n) plural a group of cells, found especially on the tongue, which allow different tastes to be recognized
-ish -- (n) when used after a number, it means "plus some number"
punch line -- (n)[C] the last part of a joke or a story that explains the meaning of what has happened previously or makes it amusing
pinch -- (n) [C] a small amount of something, esp. the amount that you can hold between your finger and thumb:
stomach space -- (n) [U] the available room inside your stomach


Resources:
Food: The Search For Great Curry -- Part 1 @ Locky's English Playground

Food & Restaurant: Hainanese Chicken Rice -- Food Republic @ CityPlaza @  Locky's English Playground


No comments:

Post a Comment